Friday, May 4, 2007

Sixth day

Paul used the last of our flour to make one more loaf of bread. I feel like Ma Ingalls in The Long Winter. Paul had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast, and I had the dried up tail end of a little loaf of bread. Fortuitously, Paul realized we could make cinnamon toast, which has somewhat eased my pain. I am running out of milk, so I scoped out what $1.40 will buy to get us through tomorrow night. Not much. Paul had last night's dinner for lunch, and I had a little bit of melted cheese on the crust of that little loaf. I was pretty sanguine about this, as we had previously paid for 2 tickets to an end-of-term banquet, so dinner was eating out.
Marilyn

Well, dinner out was a slight curve in the straight and narrow experiment but we adjusted. We didn't pig out at the dinner and since it was served buffet we could have. I wonder how the Governor and his wife dealt with that since I can't belive that they don't have to make a decision about a dine-out event possibility every night. We did have some wine ... even cheap wine tastes good when you've been abstaining.

We have enough calories to get through tomorrow and we would have even if we had eaten dinner at home tonight. If we can find some milk for $1.40 for Marilyn so she can have tea, we will get through swimmingly.

I checked, by the way, on the bulk price of flour. Good quality flour is $3.50 for 25lb ($.70 per 5 lb vs the $1.09 we paid for the worst quality flour. It is even cheaper if you get bigger bags. Rice is the same. You can get great prices on premium rice if you buy 25lb bags. The question is can you get it easily if you are not flush with transportation funds? I am beginning to think that this is one of the keys to success or failure. My elder son thinks that if he lived within walking distance of a Grand Mart he could live well on $3 per day with no problem ... and he's right. But how many food stamp folks live next to such places?

I measured out the last of my coffee tonight and it will make it through tomorrow with no trouble. So, 12oz lasts me a week at full strength making a [measured] 6 cup carafe at home or work each day and a mug first thing in the morning. If I look in strange places like markets or stores that sell remainders or job lots, I can pick up very good coffee for $5 for 12 oz. I'd like to see if I can go cheaper without sacrificing quality. Any thoughts?

Paul

2 comments:

miss appropriate said...

There is a cheaper alternative to the $5.00 for 12 oz. of coffee, and since you enjoy making things it may be a special treat for you as well. Using a popcorn air-popper, you can roast your own coffee beans!

pjkobulnicky said...

Thanks Christi ... as a person who thries things I'll have to try to roast some beans. I haven't seen green beans in the local markets so that might not be an option for the food stamp project.

Paul