Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Fourth day

Over the hump day. Visions of Hershey bars and crispy salads. I harvested a great big basket of asparagus today, and put it straight in the fridge. Paul had a microwave cheese omelet and toast for breakfast at work; I had peanut butter and jelly toast. Paul had a very beany day, with leftover bean soup and bread for lunch. I heated up a portion of rice pilaf with extra cheese for lunch. For dinner we had the rest of the beans heated up with 1/4 of the red pepper and an onion in a tablespoon of oil with canned greens, well-drained, and smoked sausage (and lots of Tabasco), and cornbread. Tea and brown-edged wafers for dessert.
Easy recipe: Improved corn muffin mix
Put 2 Tablespoons of oil in a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in a cold oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
If the recipe calls for 1/2 cup milk, use 1 egg and enough water to make 1/2 cup instead.
When the oven is preheated, pour the batter into the pan and bake as directed. Nice & crispy

What I learned today: This is the easiest cooking I have ever done. I usually spend an hour in food prep; opening cans is speedier, but less satisfying. If I use my little Brown Betty, I can make 1 teabag into 2 cups of tea.
Marilyn

Lunch today was really weak ... leftover bean soup that was all broth. It makes for a very business-like lunch ... heat it up, slurp it down. But, it means that you are just pushing calories and not thinking about food as gratification or any of the other emotions that cause us all to eat more than we need. Dinner tonight reminded me of something that I have known for a long time ... heavy on flavor covers for light on substance. Said another way, almost anything is greatly improved with hot sauce.

Our son the baker said that he would have gone at this diet in a much more straight-forward manner ... beans and rice. He must not have inherited my prediliction to flatulance. I love beans but they make me unpleasant company.

Paul

No comments: